Wednesday, October 9, 2013

App of the Week: Safari

Safari

This is what it looks like in the new iOS 7 system.


I know we all know how to use Safari as an Internet browser, but I thought I would share some basic instructions for things that are very helpful for you to know when using it.  Many of you probably already know these things, but for those who don't, this will be very helpful.

First, I will show you how to save  pictures from the Internet to your photo album/camera roll.  There are many, many apps that access your camera roll so you can do things with/to your pictures.  If you can get pictures to your camera roll, there is no limit to the things you can do with them.  In this example, I will find and save a picture of a plant that my students will open in an app so they can label its parts.

First, I simply open my Safari app and search Google for "plants with roots," and this is what I get.  Next, I click on "images."


I will now see a page full of images.  When I find the one I like, I hold my finger on it until these options show up.  Then I choose "save image."



To retrieve my pictures, I just click on my photo album from my home screen!  It's very easy.

Now I will show you how to make an icon of a webpage for your home screen.  Just open Safari and type in the web address.  Then click on this icon.


Then click "add to homescreen."



 Now, your icon is on your homescreen!






I hope this hasn't insulted your intelligence, but if you didn't know how to do these things you were at a disadvantage!

If you noticed that the look of some of these things is different than your iPad, it is because you haven't updated to iOS 7.  You can do that by going to Settings > General > Software Updates.  You need to make sure your iPad is plugged into a power source.  It should take around 20 minutes to update.  The tech club kids are working on a video that will explain some of the new features of iOS 7 for you.  Look for that to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment